Beware Utility Imposters
At the Door...
- Ask for identification - Marlboro Electric Cooperative employees carry identification and wears a uniform with the MEC logo. We encourage you to ask for identification.
- If you are unsure about an employee's identification, or want to verify the nature of the work to be done at your home, call us at (843) 479-3855.
Do not allow people into your home who...
- Claim to offer a MEC refund. Our employees never deliver cash refunds or rebates to members' homes.
- Claim to sell MEC products or services. Our employees do not engage in door-to-door sales.
- Do not pay for tree-trimming work by individuals claiming to be from MEC. We do not charge for power line clearance or right-of-way work.
- Call the police if you believe the person at your door is a con artist posing as a utility worker.
On the Phone...
- Ask for identification - pull out your most recent MEC bill and ask the caller to tell you the account number and the amount due.
- If you have caller I.D., the display will indicate that the call is from Marlboro Electric.
- If you suspect the call may be fraudulent, hang up and call us at (843) 479-3855. Ask to be connected to a customer service representative who can confirm the status of your account and make appropriate arrangements for payment, if needed.
- If you have received a call of this nature and believe you are the victim of fraud, contact your local police immediately.